TWICE THE AWESOME
It’s Official – Issue 2 launches to the world on December 5 and it looks so cool! This is thanks to some amazing submissions from talented digital artists from all over the world, not to mention the GIMP Magazine team that wraps this content in a blanket of cool! We had so many submissions for Issue 2 that we had to double the size of the magazine. Yes we doubled it! It is exactly 100 pages of digital arts excellence. Oh yeah, did I mention that GIMP Magazine is FREE? We can’t wait to share this with you!
YOU SPOKE, WE LISTENED
In our survey, our subscribers overwhelmingly wanted more tutorials in future issues. And we delivered. Half of Issue 2 is full of tutorials (for all skill levels) to learn GIMP. Check out all the tutorials below!
ISSUE 2 HIGHLIGHTS
Here are just some of the highlights:
- We have a 10 page feature Q&A article with David Revoy, a professional illustrator
- We have a few short features on other talented digital artists and graphic designers
- We have information for noobs on how to get started with GIMP. Be nice, we were all GIMP noobs at some point, LOL!
- We have a full length 12 page tutorial from Madeleine Fisher, a professional graphic novelist and superhero
- We have an “Oil Painting Tutorial” By Susanna Bur designed for GIMP beginners
- We are now adding short but useful Tips and Tricks columns, just look for Wilber!
- We have an 18 page Gallery dedicated to digital art created using GIMP and/or related software. This includes some specialized textures and even link-through video tutorials
- We have a Master Class from the Master Yeshua Nel on how to illustrate the coolest character from scratch — trust me when i say this is movie quality talent!
- As a special feature new in Issue 2, we are launching a “Wilber Art Contest” – Draw your best Wilber, and we may feature you on the cover of GIMP Magazine. (Fun Fact: Wilber is the very cool GIMP Mascot!)
- We have a tutorial on how to “Design Professional Brochures Using GIMP, Inkscape and Scribus” from Steve Czajka, and this includes a 26 minute link-through video tutorial
- Rolf Steinort of http://meetthegimp.org put together for us an awesome tutorial and link-through video tutorial on “How to Setup and Use a Graphics Tablet with GIMP 2.8”
- We have a Book review by Oma Dial, of “The Artist’s Guide to GIMP”
- We have teasers on what stories we are working on for Issue #3 (Planned for March 2013)
- A special thanks article from GIMP Magazine to you and all your awesome comments!
- And we wrapped all of this in a very cool looking magazine design with an all new typographic style and captivating cover! Oh yeah, did I mention that GIMP Magazine is FREE?
NEW GRAPHIC NOVEL SPIN-OFF
We have the start of something truly cool here, “The Hunt for Wilber” By Dave Lepek. We hope this will evolve into a full graphic novel some day. We are looking to collaborate with outstanding artists / illustrators on the creation of this new IP. I have discussed the story arc with Dave and it is way cool yet utterly bizarre at the same time. We discussed a few potential endings and an overarching theme. This thing has legs! Great fun!
The GIMP Magazine website has been viewed over 100,000 times since launch. We launched on July 18 2012. The website is not even three months old, yet it brings in about 1,200 WordPress views per day on average. The most traffic we get by country is the United States, but Europe is first overall then the Americas when viewing traffic by continent.
We are so pleased to announce that Issue #1 of GIMP Magazine has been viewed over 65,000 times in it’s first month. This is based on over 40,000 impressions on Issuu, 20,000 direct PDF downloads from our website, and an estimated 5,000 Torrent downloads — all within the first month. These numbers are way beyond our original estimates, and they do not include some other big sites that have posted our PDF on their website for download. Thanks everyone for making GIMP Magazine a success!
NEW BANNER IMAGES
To get you pumped about Issue 2, we have changed our teaser banners. These feature digital artists who contributed to Issue 2 and these banners will randomly rotate on our website up until launch. And to kick us off, we have David Revoy’s “Lucid Lynx” leading the way. Check our website regularly for new banners.
NEW PRINT EDITION
Issue 2 will launch to the world on December 5th in all the regular formats (Issuu, PDF, and Torrent). We will also be launching the brand new glossy print edition of GIMP Magazine. Give the Gift of GIMP Magazine for the holiday season — try this on: Free Software, Printed GIMP Magazine, GIMP Magazine Sweatshirt (or teddy bear), Digital Arts DVD, and the gift of learning! More details on our new print version to follow soon. Maybe even an un-boxing video?
We want to sincerely thank Sandra for her enormous efforts in editing and proofing our magazine. If you are working on a magazine, book, any kind of writing, editing, or proofing please check out Sandra’s website at: http://livingstonproof.ca/ She does amazing work, and without her GIMP Magazine would not be possible.
SUPPORT GIMP MAGAZINE
The GIMP Magazine Team would like to sincerely thank everyone who contributed to our magazine. Check out http://gimpmagazine.org/giftshop if you would like to contribute $5.00 — we send cool stuff to those who do! Advanced previews, special features and other special goodies!
Keep an eye out for some in-depth weekly previews coming soon! Help spread the word about GIMP Magazine. Re-tweet us, re-share us, or re-anything us!
GIMP Magazine Team!